Founded in 1927, Sherman Oaks is a highly desirable Los Angeles neighborhood, located in the San Fernando Valley. And with a population of just over 65,000 residents, it's also one of the least densely populated neighborhoods in Los Angeles. Sherman Oaks is highly appealing for many reasons, from its lively downtown area to its easy access to the great outdoors. Sherman Oaks strikes a balance between big-city vibrancy and residential serenity rarely found in Los Angeles neighborhoods.
Located 30 minutes north of Downtown Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks is a highly popular neighborhood for many locals, due to its close proximity to Los Angeles, as well as its many amenities. Sherman Oaks also borders the Santa Monica Mountains, meaning it's a great neighborhood for nature lovers. Some of the best hiking in Los Angeles, in the Santa Monica Mountains and Topanga State Park, are just a short drive from Downtown Sherman Oaks. Sherman Oaks is also home to the Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve, a 230-acre reserve that hosts many native California species.
- Ventura Boulevard - one of the oldest existing roads in the San Fernando Valley; an 18-mile road with many of The Valley's best shops and restaurants. In fact, it is the world's longest avenue of continuous businesses. This area is best explored on bicycle from one end to the other, in order to fully appreciate all it has to offer.
- The Martial Arts History Museum - a nearby museum that teaches visitors the origins of many Asian martial arts; has many neat artifacts, from real suits of armor to the headband from The Karate Kid.
- The Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation - a fabulous museum that showcases the artwork of famous artist Frederick R. Weisman; there are more than 400 pieces of art, featuring additional artists, such as Pablo Piccaso and Andy Warhol.
- The Japanese Garden - near the Van Nuys Park; this Japanese Garden mimics many tranquil gardens found in Japan; offers many beautiful features such as lush green spaces, fountains, ponds, and more.
- Van Nuys Sherman Oaks Park - a popular local park; has a running track, baseball fields, soccer fields, tennis courts, and more
- Flappers Comedy Club - the local comedy club; offers a variety of events, including the Burbank Comedy Festival.
- Sherman Oaks Castle Park - one of the most popular mini-golf courses in the San Fernando Valley; a perfect day out for all ages.